The TVEA Negotiating Team met with TVUSD Thursday morning and the district made a counter proposal to the offer made by the TVEA team last week.
Key areas that the district responded to were:
- Compensation: TVEA had proposed a 1% Retroactive to January
1 2014 and a 4% increase for 14-15.
TVUSD countered with a 3% starting July 1 for 14-15 with no retroactive
increase for 13-14.
- Special Education Caseload
Management: TVEA had proposed the equivalent
of 150 minutes each week for grades K-5.
TVUSD countered with the idea of forming an exploratory committee to
research the feasibility of such time.
- Class Size K-3: The district agreed in concept to eliminating previous proposed language that would have modified state legislation regarding class size. This will allow K-3 classes to continue to move toward the state target of 24-1 by 2020-21.
The TVEA Bargaining Team decided to declare impasse (meaning that one or both parties cannot offer further concessions to move toward agreement) rather than schedule future negotiating sessions through the summer.
Based on the supermajority NO vote of 64% on the May 5 Tentative Agreement and the ensuing CTA informational sessions, a majority of members needed the district to get to at least 5% in compensation over the 13-14/14-15 period to vote YES on a new TA.
- TVEA will file impasse documents with the Public Employee Relations Board.
- A California State Mediator will be assigned to hear the case and attempt to resolve the dispute. A date will be set for July or August.
Message to Teachers:
This will likely be a long drawn out process. Although frustrating, we are asking our members to stay strong. Our bargaining team has been attempting to work with the district on negotiations for this time period since January 2013.
They are negotiating in your best interests based on much research into what the district has available to provide us with a long deserved increase in compensation. You are encouraged to attend the July School Board Meeting on the 15th and will be notified of a mediation date when we have it. We will ask members to show their support at the mediation site for sixty to ninety minutes that day. Thank you to all of those who gave strong support at the last two school board meetings June 3rd and June 17th. We have demonstrated a level of solidarity that proves we will seek a “Fair Settlement” no matter how long it takes.
Jeff Kingsberg TVEA President Elect
TVEA Bargaining Team