Several Inland Empire athletes are on the University of Oregon roster as the Ducks prepare to meet Kansas State in the Fiesta Bowl on Thursday.
Football players from Temecula, Colton, Hemet, Riverside, Rancho Cucamonga, and La Puente are on the roster, according to the university.
The 2013 Fiesta Bowl, featuring 11-1 Oregon vs. 11-1 Kansas State, is scheduled to kickoff at 5:30 p.m. Jan. 3 in Glendale, Arizona. The game will be televised on ESPN.
Local athletes from near Redlands and Loma Linda who may appear for the Ducks include:
- Oregon senior running back Kenjon Barner, a Notre Dame-Riverside graduate
- Oregon sophomore linebacker Derrick Malone, a Colton High graduate
- Oregon junior placekicker Alejandro Maldonado, a Colton High graduate
- Oregon sophomore linebacker Rodney Hardrick, a Colton High graduate
- Oregon sophomore offensive lineman Hamani Stevens, a Hemet High graduate
- Oregon junior offensive lineman Trevor Fox, a graduate of Chaparral High in Temecula
- Oregon redshirt freshman offensive lineman Jamal Prater of Etiwanda High in Rancho Cucamonga
- Oregon sophomore defensive end Tony Washington of Los Osos High in Rancho Cucamonga
- Oregon sophomore defensive end David Kafovalu of Riverside-Arlington High
- Oregon junior defensive back J.R. Maffie, a Bishop Amat-La Puente graduate
Other Californians on the Ducks' roster include redshirt freshman tight end Jimmy Musgrave of Silverado High in Victorville, sophomore offensive lineman Hroniss Grasu of Crespi High in Encino, senior long snapper Jeff Palmer of Santa Margarita High in Dana Point, senior linebacker Michael Clay of Bellarmine College Prep in San Jose, and freshman offensive lineman Matthew McFadden of Marin Catholic in Novato.
Oddsmakers have Oregon as a nine-point favorite in the 42nd edition of the Fiesta Bowl. As of 1 p.m. Thursday, the Associated Press had Oregon ranked No. 5 and Kansas State at No. 7.