Parents should ensure that their children remain safe even while on summer vacation. Here are some tips to follow:
- If children are home alone and are allowed to answer the phone, they should never tell the caller that they are home alone.
- If someone knocks on the door do not open the door but let the person know someone is inside the residence. Do not let them know the child is home alone.
- Make sure that the child has a list of phone numbers (neighbors, friends, family) that they can call if they should become frightened or in the event of an emergency.
- Assure that they know how to call 911 and when it is appropriate to do so. Also establish a schedule for the child to check in with mom or dad.
- Establish house rules for use of the computer, especially the Internet. The computer can be a valuable learning tool, but is not a good babysitter. Make sure the child knows never to give out personal information on the computer.
- Your children need to wear a helmet while riding a bike, scooter, roller skates etc.
- Teach your children that it is best to be in a group of friends when going places.
- Parents should know the route the child will be taking to and from a given location. Remind the child never to take shortcuts or deviate from the route agreed upon.
- Make sure that your children know never to talk to anyone that they don’t know.
Have fun a fun and safe summer!